[vlc-devel] Re: Problems opening 2 or more streams at the same time

Marius Kjeldahl marius at kjeldahl.net
Tue May 3 20:19:49 CEST 2005

James wrote:
> Hello People,
>
> [00000460] vout_directx video output error:
> overlay unuseable (might already be in use)
>
> With other machines this problem does not happens
> and I can open as many streams I want.
>
> My computer is a Pentium III with onboard video
> card.
>
> Is this problem a hardware limitation? Or can I
> fix it?

Some hardware is limited to one overlay at the time. Anyway, should be
fairly easy to test. Use one of the other X drivers in VLC, for instance
X11 if I remember correctly. Yes, it will run slow compared to XV, but
if that driver plays multiple streams just fine, you have narrowed the
problem down to the hardware and/or the related XV driver.

Marius K.