[vlc-devel] Re: Mem leak in vlc for zaurus

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Sat May 21 12:45:15 CEST 2005

Nirnimesh wrote:

> I'm able to run vlc on my sharp zaurus SL6000L. However, there's a
> continuous memory leak in the playing due to which after some time
> things get messed up. Restart of vlc solves this. I'm trying to figure
> out where this leak could be. I tried commenting out large parts of the
> modules/video_output/qte/qte.cpp (particularly  Display() ) but the leak
> persists. Do you have any idea where the leak could be. Since the vlc
> for x86 doesn't leak, the leak should be in the places where vlc does
> things for arm. I'm not able to find this part of the code where the vlc
> discovers arm arch and decides that it should use qte.cpp for the
> display.

VLC has no special code for discovery operating systems, AFAIK it is
done at compile time. In vlc there is a rating score associated with
every module and every type of module. The scores can be found in
between the macros vlc_module_begin() and vlc_module_end(). The same
code is present in the qte.cpp file.

Did you do the same test without video? For instance use mp3's and add
-V dummy to the VLC commandline. In this case only the audio path will
be setup. If the memory disapears then the
modules/video_output/qte/qte.cpp is indeed the problem otherwise it will
be in VLC core or the audio path.

Greetings,
Jean-Paul Saman.