[vlc-devel] How to compile ffmpeg with faad for VLC?

j y yunjnz at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 22 02:37:50 CET 2005

Hi,
       I met a problem while configuring VLC, I found that the program couldn't play audio with the information:
          no suitable decoder module for fourcc 'mp4a'
      and with this information, I heard from VLC-Devel that it indicated that the FFMPEG didn't be configured with FAAD support, so I downloaded FAAD and compiled, and then add --enable-faad option while configuring FFMPEG, but while compiling ffmpeg there are errors happened, here is the detailed error information:

          ./libavcodec/libavcodec.a(faad.o)(.text+0x1d1): In function 'faac_decode_init': /root/ffmpeg-0.4.9-pre1/libavcodec/faad.c:217: undefined reference to 'faacDecOpen'
         ./libavcodec/libavcodec.a(faad.o)(.text+0x1d8):/root/ffmpeg-0.4.9-pre1/libavcodec/faad.c:218: undefined reference to 'faacDecGetCurrentConfiguration'

        and several lines similar information about undefined reference for such asfaacDecSetConfiguration / faacDecInit / faacDecInit2 / faacDecDecode / faacDecGetErrorMessage / faacDecOpen and so on.
         why this happened? how to solve this problem? thank you.

  Regards,
  Sean