[vlc-devel] Re: How to compile ffmpeg with faad for VLC?

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Tue Nov 22 20:01:09 CET 2005

j y wrote:
> Hi,
>        I met a problem while configuring VLC, I found that the program couldn't play audio with the information:
>           no suitable decoder module for fourcc 'mp4a'
>       and with this information, I heard from VLC-Devel that it indicated that the FFMPEG didn't be configured with FAAD support, so I downloaded FAAD and compiled, and then add --enable-faad option while configuring FFMPEG, but while compiling ffmpeg there are errors happened, here is the detailed error information:
>
>           ./libavcodec/libavcodec.a(faad.o)(.text+0x1d1): In function 'faac_decode_init': /root/ffmpeg-0.4.9-pre1/libavcodec/faad.c:217: undefined reference to 'faacDecOpen'
>          ./libavcodec/libavcodec.a(faad.o)(.text+0x1d8):/root/ffmpeg-0.4.9-pre1/libavcodec/faad.c:218: undefined reference to 'faacDecGetCurrentConfiguration'
>
>         and several lines similar information about undefined reference for such asfaacDecSetConfiguration / faacDecInit / faacDecInit2 / faacDecDecode / faacDecGetErrorMessage / faacDecOpen and so on.
>          why this happened? how to solve this problem? thank you.
>
>   Regards,
>   Sean
Welcome to the ffmpeg hell ;-)

ffmpeg has a broken build system if there is more then one library that
needs to be statically linked and those libraries are in their own
compiled tree. The easiest thing todo is to create a directory under
ffmpeg, eg: libs and copy all *.a or *.so to that directory.

Configure ffmpeg with the option to the libraries configuration and with
--enable-faad.

Gtz,
Jean-Paul Saman