[vlc-devel] Re: lip sych problem

Marian Durkovic md at bts.sk
Mon Nov 28 09:21:36 CET 2005

> >I spent a lot of time making sure that the LIVE555 RTP/RTCP
> >implementation works properly - to generate correct, time-
> >synchronized presentation times at the client end.  I wish people
> >would stop claiming that this doesn't work.
>
> The problem here is that there is tons of material in the wild that
> does NOT have proper timestamping and synchronisation. The fact that
> lots of this material works in most players, does not mean it is per
> definition streamable. The fact is the file is BROKEN. People need to
> understand this. For MPEG material, like 85% is probably broken.

Well, even though all the above is true, I've seen this problem on some
streams from Cisco IPTV servers (and Cisco IPTV client plays them fine).
I suspect the reason is ticket #424, but there might also be a bug
somewhere else. In any case, such streams play fine when RTCP reports are
filtered out at network level.

	With kind regards,

		M.