[vlc-devel] Re: lip sych problem

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Mon Nov 28 12:41:18 CET 2005

On 28-nov-2005, at 9:21, Marian Durkovic wrote:

>>> I spent a lot of time making sure that the LIVE555 RTP/RTCP
>>> implementation works properly - to generate correct, time-
>>> synchronized presentation times at the client end.  I wish people
>>> would stop claiming that this doesn't work.
>>
>> The problem here is that there is tons of material in the wild that
>> does NOT have proper timestamping and synchronisation. The fact that
>> lots of this material works in most players, does not mean it is per
>> definition streamable. The fact is the file is BROKEN. People need to
>> understand this. For MPEG material, like 85% is probably broken.
>
> Well, even though all the above is true, I've seen this problem on
> some
> streams from Cisco IPTV servers (and Cisco IPTV client plays them
> fine).
> I suspect the reason is ticket #424, but there might also be a bug
> somewhere else. In any case, such streams play fine when RTCP
> reports are
> filtered out at network level.

"(and Cisco IPTV client plays them fine)"

That is absolutely NO argument. If the Cisco IPTV server treats the
material incorrect, and their client makes the same incorrect
assumption, that doesn't mean that a client that acts correctly will
work faultless. I'm not saying that it's the case, I'm saying that
you definitely should NOT rule it out, and assume VLC or live555 is
incorrect.

BTW. just put a sample stream online so everyone can investigate it.
Talking about bugs like this is pointless.

DJ