[vlc-devel] Problem with RTSP streaming in VLC 0.8.4

Juan Jose Galvez jjgalvez at msn.com
Tue Nov 29 12:28:46 CET 2005

Hello,

I've compiled vlc 0.8.4 on SuSE 9.2 and i'm experiencing some strange
behaviour while receiving a multimedia session with RTSP.

When I launch vlc from the command line passing a rtsp url, the first time
VLC starts correctly and plays the audio/video session. After this I close
VLC. When I launch VLC from the command line again, VLC seems to get stuck
opening the audio/video session (there's a few seconds delay) and a lot of
video packets get dropped. I've checked the packet loss with LIVE.COM's
reception stats (from RTPSource). I'm evaluating packet loss so this
behaviour is not desired.

With previous versions of VLC this didn't happen (eg: compiling VLC 0.8.2
and liking against the same libraries). The problem seems to be in the long
delay between starting to read packets from RTP and opening the video
decoder or video output. As I said, this happens after having closed VLC a
first time; subsequent times VLC is opened this problem occurs. With
previous versions this delay doesn't happen.

What could be the problem?

Regards,
Juan Jose Galvez