[vlc-devel] Re: Qt embedding of VLC

Benjamin Pracht bigben+spam at videolan.org
Sat Oct 15 18:44:26 CEST 2005

Le vendredi 14 octobre 2005 à 23:36 -0700, Jason H a écrit :
> I stumbled across this player in my desire to view
> some archive.org content.
>
> How hard would it be to make a Qt app that embedded
> VLC?
> The Qt app would provide the playback controls and
> provide a display area (as sized by Qt layouts)  for
> the player to display in. I'd like to support all 3
> platforms Mac OSX, win32, and Linux) uniformly

Well, that would be possible. There has been a unfinished qt interface
in the svn in the past. You have to options to achieve this. If the
purpose it to make a VLC interface, the best way would be to write an
interface module. Have a look at the existing ones in the trunk. That
could be a long job if the purpose is to control all VLC's options.

If the purpose is to write a complete application, which uses VLC to
read some streams as one of its functionalities, using libvlc would
certainly be more fit, but you'll only get access to a few of VLC's
internal functions and variables.

Be carefull with QT on OSX, you're likely not going to get an
application that will really have an OSX look'n'feel (if that
matters...)

> Could this work be done as LGPL or would it have to be
> GPL?

I think your interface can be LGPL (as LGPL is a GPL compatible
licence), but the whole App, VLC + your interface distributed together
will be GPL. That means that your interface + VLC cannot be distributed
along with some proprietary libs.

By the way, if the purpose is only to have a customized interface, skins
can be a good choice.

--
BigBen