[vlc-devel] Re: [patch] Fixed source aspect ratio calculation

Michel Lespinasse walken at zoy.org
Tue Oct 18 11:07:49 CEST 2005

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 09:44:51AM +0200, Marian Durkovic wrote:
> This IMHO means, that VLC needs to immplement 1088->1080 fix, otherwise
> the users will still complain about HDTV greyline bug on considerable amount
> of HDTV content (claiming their STB played it fine so there must be a "bug"
> in VLC). The problem is so widespread, that it's not possible to ignore it,
> and if the situation changes in the future there's nothing easier than to
> remove this ugly fix.

In my opinion it'd be much better to teach the rescaling code to do
nothing if the pixel aspect ratio is within 1% of being square. That way
you have a more general way of preserving quality without having to
mess with the stream parameters. (you still get the 8 gray lines though).

> So please reconsider it one more time, and if you don't have strong
> objections I'll commit the 1088->1080 fix under my SVN account - and will
> hold myself responsible for complaints regarding its uglyness...

If you're gonna do anything like that, please at least check all of
the width/height/display_width/display_height parameters before you
adjust the display height.

--
Michel "Walken" Lespinasse
"Bill Gates is a monocle and a Persian cat away from being the villain