[vlc-devel] Re: DV Hangs, Audio continues

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Tue Oct 18 11:15:28 CEST 2005

Stefan de Konink wrote:
> Steve Lhomme wrote:
>
>>ffmpeg debug: ffmpeg codec (DV Video) started
>>
>>This is the problem. I've worked a bit with DV in ffmpeg and support is
>>not so great. You'd better use the DV plugin based on libdv in VLC.
>
> I found the performance for ffmpeg was better in gstreamer and mplayer.
> What is the way for VLC to prefer libdv over ffmpeg?
>

>>avi warning: cannot skip packet, track disabled
>>ffmpeg debug: ffmpeg codec (DV Video) stopped
>>
>>Now that should be where the real problem is located, but I don't know
>>exactly what it is...
>
> thedj (on IRC) adviced me to reindex the avi files. The third avi file
> is after reindexing seriously out of sync. But the program did not stop
> anymore. Though these AVI's are produced with Premiere and (I presume)
> shouldn't be broken.

They should indeed NOT be broken. Also "out of sync" is funny when it
comes to DV, because the audio and video are in the same track for
DV-Type 1. You may try avi2raw and keep only the DV stream. Raw DV
should not have this desync problem due to AVI. Since AVI is kinda
useless for DV anyway...

Given the current code of ffmpeg, you'll even have more accurate aspect
ratio from DV when using the raw demuxer...