[vlc-devel] Re: DV Hangs, Audio continues

Stefan de Konink skinkie at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 20 01:03:33 CEST 2005

Vaclav Koldus wrote:
> All this sounds as messing up with standarts. DV-AVI should be Type 1
> (which means one stream saved in avi as video but actualy containing dv
> audio as well in one stream with avi) or Type 2( which means you have
> two  streams in avi, just like avi wants. One DV video stream without
> sound and  one DV audio stream). Case when you have actualy two audio
> streams in one  avi ('cause one is in DV stream and one is in audio part
> of avi) should  never happen!
I can provide you a piece of the avi... sue Adobe ;) But I think it is
valid for OpenDML though. Valid. Nothing more nothing less.

> If this happens in premiere exporting, I'm losing good meaning about
> this  software. Maybe you could check the settings of output format if
> it's set  up well.
I'll take a look at the persons computer actually doing it. It is a
production company, and we are simply a local broadcasting station. I'm
a software developer, so basically our complete broadcast studio isn't
digital because of we have the money, no way, its because of me not
having the electronical skills to set something up like that ;)

> By the way, I say obvious, but this gives you one advice, always use
> Type  1 DV Avis when you want to export files back to DV tape :)
If you can explain how to get Type 1 DV AVI bigger than 2GB... thats
what we are talking about in TV productions.

> Those troubles with sound seems like the other cam uses 22khz or 44khz
> instead of 48khz samplerate, which should not be a prob when converted
> correctly, but obviously somewhere they aren't. Again, it isn't a good
> idea to use lower samplerate, because of interpolation during
> conversion  to higher samplerates.
I wish I stayed with radio :) Yes, complexity of the product increases
untracebly problems.

> And another facts for this comes to my mind. I've got problems in VLC
> with  playing DV Avis even when they are pure Type 1, without any audio
> stream  in avi container, which should make any probs with indexing by
> my opinion.  Maybe the prob is when VLC demuxes audio and video from DV
> stream? But why  it doesn't hang when not using ffmpeg decoder then?
Maybe a clue: mplayer warns after around 37 seconds in every stream it
goes further in -ni mode because of a bad interpolated stream. Good
index reading might be the case with more players, OpenDML support is
great but if you can't get A/V in sync than the product isn't usuable.

Stefan