[vlc-devel] Re: UNICODE

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Thu Oct 27 18:09:50 CEST 2005

Le Jeudi 27 Octobre 2005 16:53, · zcot · a écrit :
> Alternatively, and there was no problem before, don't force the wx
> contrib into unicode usage... or let any autoconfiguration scheme
> pick it up as unicode. -and there was still some form of unicode
> support anyway.

ATm, we don't use Unicode on Win32. So there's no stopper.

> I would be curious.. -how has unicode been working up until now with
> using the wx contribs that are not unicode,

wc_str is not usable. Code using it simply won't compile.

> and what added functionality is available by building the wx contrib
> under the --enable-unicode situation?

wxString::wc_str() which is the only way to extract C strings from
wxWidgets 2.6.x in a way that actually works... on Linux. mb_str()
returns garbage on Linux.

Also, given VLC now runs with UTF-8 internally, it is much more
efficient to extract Unicode from wxWidgets, and convert between UTF-32
and UTF-8, than convert between the locale country-dependant encoding
and UTF-8.

http://www.simphalempin.com/home/