[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r13006 (fkuehne)

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Sat Oct 29 09:26:33 CEST 2005

Le Samedi 29 Octobre 2005 09:08, Marian Durkovic a écrit :
> No, actually not, you're confusing different protocol layers.
> TCP, UDP and RTP are transport layer protocols, while HTTP, FTP, RTSP
> etc. are application layer protocols.

I believe Derk-Jan is perfectly aware of that stuff.

The problem is, many people rely on UDP, because they are using client
software that do NOT support RTP, or don't support it properly.

We will obviously eventually make RTP the default, but we can't afford
to remove UDP from the wizard. My understanding here, is that some
people absolutely need UDP and some people absolutely need RTP, and
neither sides want to wait for the next release to be able to stream
with the wizard. I do recognize a bunch of people, including but not
limited to you, have been complaining about the reordering issue for a
while now, and would be less than happy if it still wasn't fixed in
0.8.4. As for myself, given I only use VLC and our network is not using
equal-cost routing, I don't really care.

IMHO, so long as it is a simple wizard (= GUI) modification, I would say
it is ok before -test2 to offer RTP from the wizard, so long as UDP can
also still be chosen. I've not checked thoroughly, but it should be a
matter of adding an extra checkbox or something (à la «Don't use RTP»,
with a text saying explaining why you might need to not use RTP).

http://www.simphalempin.com/home/