[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r13006 (fkuehne)

Viktor Kompaneyets vato at wnet.ua
Mon Oct 31 11:39:32 CET 2005

Marian Durkovic wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 09:36:05AM +0200, Cl?ment Stenac wrote:
>> > IMHO, so long as it is a simple wizard (= GUI) modification, I would
>> > say it is ok before -test2 to offer RTP from the wizard, so long as UDP
>> > can also still be chosen. I've not checked thoroughly, but it should be
>>
>> The main problem I see here is that the wizard is already a bit too
>> complex IMHO. Adding both UDP and RTP, with a text explaining the
>> difference will make it even more complex.
>
> Yes, this was exactly what I was thinking... However, it might be perhaps
> possible to shrink UDP unicast and UDP multicast into second button named
> "UDP", rename the first button to "RTP" and change the description that
> user could enter unicast or multicast address on both (???)
>
>> The wizard should make the best choice for most users. Other users can
>> use the more complex full dialog.
>
> Yes, fully agree.
>
>> I personnally think it might be better to leave UDP, because some things
>> will just not work with RTP. Anyway, we already state that UDP is not
>> adapted for internet streaming.

You're completely wrong.

> Do we have a list of clients/devices not able to accept TS over RTP?

A lot of my devices (linux boxes) use raw UDP and non-RTP udp protocols.
Disabling raw UDP will switch me from VLC completely or making an
transforming  from RTP to raw UDP.

> Looking at the SAP sessions announced in the multicast-enabled Internet,

We don't use SAP for some reasons. But our MBONE is rfc-compilant.

> most of them are RTP these days

Most != ALL!!!

> - and most VLC users are aware of the
> need for RTP, even if they incorrectly announce their session as being
> raw UDP - but I've fixed this in [12899] so this should disappear as soon
> as they upgrade to 0.8.4.

Don't do so!

--
Viktor Kompaneyets