[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r13050 (md)

list at scttransport.dk list at scttransport.dk
Mon Oct 31 21:02:09 CET 2005

> > Hi Marian,
> >
> > I don't actually like this commit because nothing tells you that the
> user
> > wanted to resize the window to the _original_ size. For instance if the
> > user had already changed the size of the window manually (eg. shrinked
> or
> > enlarged the video), it is very likely that resizing to the original
> size
> > is not what the user would expect. At least I know that it would bother
> > me ;)
> >
> > I suppose you could resize to the current size of the video sub-
> window...
> > although I'm not too keen on doing any resizing at all.
> > I guess it would be worth having the opinion of other developers here.
> >
> > --
> > Gildas
> >
> If the user resized the window then in my humble opinion the video
> should keep the current aspect ratio and be scaled inside the window.
> Just as VLC did it before this commit.
>
> As a general rule I think that we (developers) shouldn't think that we
> know what the user wants. We should listen to the hints they give eg:
> the size of the window, the aspect ratio setting, the 4:3, 9:6 setting
> etc.
>
> If the video is automatically resized to its original size then that
> would break intuitive behaviour the user expects. At least that is my
> opinion.
>
> In short I second you Gildas.

Maybe I am missing something here, but cant this behavior simply be an
option? I don't feel strongly about which method to make the default, I just
want both options available. So you have one which is the default, and if ur
unhappy about that, u can check an option, and it changes it to the other
method. Besides adding some code and complexity I would consider the free
choice as the natural and best approach?

Just my 5 cents.

Cheers
Jonas Larsen