[vlc-devel] win95/98/me problems with utf8 wrappers

Daniel Stränger vlc at schmaller.de
Tue Apr 4 16:57:27 CEST 2006

Hi!
I'm having serious problems running vlc-0.8.5-testx on my win98 (no SP) machine.
Every attempt to access local files failes, except module loading.
The problem includes reading/writing the configuration files/directory.
Playing a file from the internet (http or mms access) works fine.

IMO the utf8-wrapper functions (CreateDirectoryW and wfopen) are the cause of these errors,
because they are not implemented in those windows versions.
-> http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/default.asp?url=/archive/en-us/win9x/chilimit_6fw3.asp

Can someone confirm this misbehaviour?

The log entries are attached.

Best regards, Daniel