[vlc-devel] Re: Fwd: ActiveX and Mozilla Control questions

Damien Fouilleul Damien.Fouilleul at laposte.net
Tue Apr 18 18:22:00 CEST 2006

> I have installed the vlc-0.8.5-test2-win32.exe from the videolan.org
> website and selected firefox plugin and activex plugin. The page I've got
> (which looks like the example one in the documentation) works fine under
> firefox. However in Internet Explorer the plugin just gives the red cross
> icon saying it cannot load the plugin. Looking under "Managed Add-ons" I
> cannot see anything VLC related.
>
> Is there an extra step I should be taking to get the plugin working under
> IE?

the VLC activex plugin is not signed and you probably are using maximum
security in IE, you will need to drop the scurity level

> I also have a couple of questions regarding the mozilla control...
>
>    1. Is there anyway of being informed of mouse movement events? I've
>    tried document.screen.onmousemove = mouseMoved; and mouseMoved seems
>    to be called straight away but never again. I've also tried
>    window.onmousemove and document.onmousemove and neither of these raise
>    events when I'm over the VLC Control.
since VLC runs in a child window, it is possible that it eats up events
>    2. Is it possible to draw on top of the video window? I've tried
>    setting the z-index of the control and having a div layer with a higher
>    z-index but that doesn't work.
you can't draw over a child window, sorry...
>    3. Is there any way of enabling and disabling subtitles for the
>    stream?

should be possible, most people try sending 'key-...' events to control VLC,
have a look at the forum