[vlc-devel] Re: [vlc] Illegal characters in RTSP stream user/password mechanism

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Aug 11 02:42:17 CEST 2006

>>The real solution to this problem is to fix VLC so that - if a RTSP
>>(or HTTP!) authentication failure occurs - it will then pop up a
>>dialog box in wihch users can enter a <username>,<password> pair.
>>Then, retry using that <username> and <password>.
>>
>>This is what QuickTime Player and other media players do; VLC
>>should be doing it as well.
>>
>>If the VLC developers would implement such a dialog box, and use it
>>for HTTP authentication, then I'll add the appropriate code to the
>>LIVE.COM libraries and "modules/demux/livedotcom.cpp" to also use
>>it for RTSP authentication.  Just let me know...
>
>Since we now have the interaction framework this could be possible.
>https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/browser/trunk/modules/access/http.c#L279
>
>So Ross :D how are we gonna do this :D

Update "live555.cpp" as follows:
- if the call to "describeURL()" fails, and the reason is a 401 error
(you can figure this out by parsing the "getResultMsg()" string then:
	- pop up a dialog box, asking for username and password
	- call "describeWithPassword(url, username, password)

If necessary, I could modify the "describeURL()" implementation to
make it more obvious (using the "describeStatus()" code) when an
authentication failure occurs, so that you don't need to parse the
error response yourself.  (However, this would make the code unable
to use older versions of the LIVE555 library.)
--

Ross Finlayson
Live Networks, Inc.