[vlc-devel] Re: [vlc] Illegal characters in RTSP stream user/password mechanism

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Fri Aug 11 16:51:31 CEST 2006

On 11-aug-2006, at 2:42, Ross Finlayson wrote:

>>> The real solution to this problem is to fix VLC so that - if a
>>> RTSP (or HTTP!) authentication failure occurs - it will then pop
>>> up a dialog box in wihch users can enter a <username>,<password>
>>> pair.  Then, retry using that <username> and <password>.
>>>
>>> This is what QuickTime Player and other media players do; VLC
>>> should be doing it as well.
>>>
>>> If the VLC developers would implement such a dialog box, and use
>>> it for HTTP authentication, then I'll add the appropriate code to
>>> the LIVE.COM libraries and "modules/demux/livedotcom.cpp" to also
>>> use it for RTSP authentication.  Just let me know...
>>
>> Since we now have the interaction framework this could be possible.
>> https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/browser/trunk/modules/access/
>> http.c#L279
>>
>> So Ross :D how are we gonna do this :D
>
> Update "live555.cpp" as follows:
> - if the call to "describeURL()" fails, and the reason is a 401
> error (you can figure this out by parsing the "getResultMsg()"
> string then:
> 	- pop up a dialog box, asking for username and password
> 	- call "describeWithPassword(url, username, password)

hmm, ok

I have another question. what if the SDP is retrieved from an
external source.
How should you then start your RTSPClient ? Is this only possible if
the SDP contains the a=control:link for the mediasubsession?
What if the SDP contains a UDP source, so that basically RTSP control
cannot be used. are there ways to detect this?

And is it simply impossible to do authentication in that case, or do
I pass the options other then with describeURL?

DJ