[vlc-devel] Re: [vlc] Illegal characters in RTSP stream user/password mechanism

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Aug 11 22:40:36 CEST 2006

>I'm still having some confusion over the live555 conceptual usage of
>this area.

You're thinking way too much about this.

To add RTSP authentication support (with dialog boxes) to VLC, all
you need to do is modify the code that calls "describeURL()", as I
noted in my earlier message.

If there are any other weird RTSP situations which the current code
doesn't handle, then we can fix this later, if and when we run into
them.  (But I'm not convinced that these exist in practice.)

>Actually what I'm getting at is this. It appears that currently VLC
>creates an RTSPClient object AND a MediaSession object for a rtsp://
>link

That's correct.  VLC (and all other RTSP clients that use the LIVE555
code) use the "RTSPClient" object to get a SDP description (using the
RTSP "DESCRIBE" command).  They then use this SDP description to
create a "MediaSession" object, which ends up getting passed to the
"RTSPClient" object, to implement subsequent RTSP commands.

>I was wondering wether in this case VLC shouldn't be required to use
>the MediaSession of  the initial RTSPClient

The "RTSPClient" doesn't have a "MediaSession" of its own.  It is
*told* a "MediaSession" (or "MediaSubsession") object, when it is
asked to send RTSP "SETUP", "PLAY", etc. commands.

But again, you don't need to care about this.  All you need to
concern yourself with are the calls to "describeURL()".
--

Ross Finlayson
Live Networks, Inc.