[vlc-devel] Re: [vlc] Illegal characters in RTSP stream user/password mechanism

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Fri Aug 11 21:40:05 CEST 2006

On 11-aug-2006, at 19:19, Ross Finlayson wrote:
>> I have another question. what if the SDP is retrieved from an
>> external source.
>> How should you then start your RTSPClient ? Is this only possible
>> if the SDP contains the a=control:link for the mediasubsession?
>
> I think so (e.g., the example in section 14.1 in the RTSP
> specification).  However, I don't think I've ever seen such a
> stream (where the server expects the client to issue RTSP "SETUP"
> and "PLAY" commands, without having first done a "DESCRIBE"), and
> the LIVE555 library doesn't currently support this anyway (because
> it currently sets up a connection to a RTSP server only when doing
> a "DESCRIBE").

I think QT Broadcaster can have this situation. but I didn't test.
I'm not entirely sure how our SAP/SDPs are currently handled, but i
think that they also fall into this category do they not ?

I'm still having some confusion over the live555 conceptual usage of
this area.

>> What if the SDP contains a UDP source
>
> Remember that the data delivery protocol (RTP/UDP or raw UDP) is
> independent of the control protocol (RTSP).  RTSP authentication -
> if any - is done the same way, regardless of which data delivery
> protocol ends up getting used.

Actually what I'm getting at is this. It appears that currently VLC
creates an RTSPClient object AND a MediaSession object for a rtsp://
link
I was wondering wether in this case VLC shouldn't be required to use
the MediaSession of  the initial RTSPClient, or is it automatically
reused because of the env?

Or in code I suspect the
/* create the session from the SDP */
if( !( p_sys->ms = MediaSession::createNew( *p_sys->env, p_sys-
 >p_sdp ) ) )

is simply necessary for the SDP from file case, but I'm not sure how
much it conflicts with the previous

if( ( p_sys->rtsp = RTSPClient::createNew(*p_sys->env, 1 /*verbose*/,
           "VLC media player", i_http_port ) )  )

DJ