[vlc-devel] Re: S/PDIF & nforce issue

Sigmund Augdal Helberg dnumgis at videolan.org
Mon Aug 21 08:37:58 CEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-18 at 09:23 -0600, Mark Lehrer wrote:
> I have been having an S/PDIF issue for a few months now, and between
> google and #videolan I haven't been able to get to the bottom of it.
> Is there an S/PDIF & Alsa expert here who could help me figure out the
> problem?
Perhaps some dialoge might help.

> The issue: S/PDIF works fine in mplayer with the -ac hwac3 option, but
> I can't seem to get it working in VLC (or MythTV), it gives me this
> error:
>
> VLC media player 0.8.4 Janus
> [00000311] a52 decoder: A/52 channels:6 samplerate:48000 bitrate:448000
> [00000314] alsa audio output error: internal: can't find audio-device (10)
> [00000314] oss audio output error: cannot reset OSS audio device
>
> I set hw:0,1 to be the device in the VLC config screen (card 0: NVidia
> [HDA NVidia], device 1: AD198x Digital [AD198x Digital])
spdif is working just fine for me with nforce audio and alsa. I do
however set --alsadev to something else than hw:0,1. Using the wxwidgets
gui you can go to preferences/audio output/alsa. There should be a
"refresh" button next to the alsadev option and pressing this should
populate the dropdown list with devices. make sure to select the one
with 'IEC958' in the string. Also be aware that your vlc version is
somewhat old. Ideally we should be able to browse and select correct
audio device when user asks for spdif, but no one has stepped up to
write this code yet.

Good luck

Sigmund