[vlc-devel] Re: VLC on Windows, direct3d video output error: Failed to create picture surface.

Joerg vlc-ml at aab.noctis.de
Mon Aug 28 13:07:45 CEST 2006

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Damien Fouilleul wrote:

>> I've also had a "hr=0x8876017C", whatever that is.
> this is the error code for D3DERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMORY
>
> your video card seems a bit underpowered

Well... so much for trying to find out what I did wrong.

Thanks for the response, the system I am (have to) working on is an aging
Notebook with onboard graphics (ATI RAGE Mobility) - so this sounds just
right.

Strange however, that a precompiled version of VLC worked without that
error and the problem is independent of the video (source file) size --
from postcard stamp (240x176) to full PAL (720x576).

Could it be something else or a combination of multiple problems?

Regards,
Jörg