[vlc-devel] Re: VLC on Windows, direct3d video output error: Failed to create picture surface.

Damien Fouilleul damien.fouilleul at laposte.net
Mon Aug 28 14:54:28 CEST 2006

Obviously, video memory is a shared resource, so the behavior would
depend on what else is running on your machine.
normally, if direct3d fails to initialize, VLC should revert to the old
directx module (DirectDraw), which can also fail due to lack of video
memory.

Please note that the direct3d module is new for 0.8.6 and is still in
development, try to force the directx module and see if you get better
results

Damien