[vlc-devel] Re: x264 SSE on Intel Macs..

George Bray georgebray at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 00:03:34 CET 2006

I just tried the intel nightly with stock settings, and can confirm
that encoding to h264/Quicktime works reliably, albeit only on one of
the CPU cores.  Tried it on a dual core mini, and a quad-core xeon
Xserve. Only one CPU used.

http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/macosx-intel/branch-intel-20061201-1438.dmg

0.8.6-rc1

I'm available all weekend to do turnaround testing if required.
Getting multi-core x264 going would be _really_ good!

cheers,
George

On 12/2/06, Brian Raymond <braymond at echostorm.net> wrote:
> It looks like with a recent commit to x264 SSE is working on Intel
> Macs again. In 0.8.6 svn I disabled the osx-intel patch, and forced a
> checkout of x264 head. To get it to compile correctly I needed to use
> nasm out of my XCode 2.4.1 install, the version downloaded by VLC
> couldn't handle the alignment change made to .text. Tested by
> transcoding a PAL source and at 2mbps and the result looked good
> (most importantly no crashes) ,it did it nearly real time with a
> single core so it's definitely good to have the speed back.
>
> I didn't submit a patch to make the changes discussed because this
> does look like it might need a newer version of XCode, I'm not sure
> if 2.3 is usable or not.
>
> - Brian
>
> --

George Bray - University of Canberra, Australia