[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r18263 (md)

Marian Durkovic md at bts.sk
Tue Dec 5 11:36:17 CET 2006

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 11:11:49AM +0100, R?mi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le lundi 4 d?cembre 2006 16:22, Derk-Jan Hartman a ?crit :
> > I have to agree here. This is not a fix. It's rewrite of how this is
> > handled in vlm. And though I'm sure the respective developers took
> > great care implementing it, it's not guaranteed to be error free.
>
> It probably is not error-free. Since it was not a regression in the
> first place, it might be ok to not fix it and put one last ultimate
> work-around in wx instead, though I can understand the frustration of
> Windows users.

I've tested this extensively and it works fine.
And we had multiple complaints about this during last week.

Please test yourself by launching a telnet interface and
typing some of your favourite quoting stuff into vlm.

It accepts all the formats below:

- backslashing of sensitive characters:

Let\'s\ test

- double quoting (with proper ignoring of single quote inside)

"Let's test"

- masking of inner qoutes

"file=\"abc\""

-strings with different inner quotes

"file='abc'"

- partially quoted strings

file="test 2"

- and last but not least, windows style paths:

"c:\file\dir"

Putting workarounds into wx will not solve the problem for VLM itself
(i.e. scipts, telenet intf, nor for HTTP intf).

And synchronization of quoting stuff with the shell is IMHO to the benefit
of all users.

	With kind regards,

		M.