[vlc-devel] Re: [bmpx] Re: [Banshee-List] [bmpx] Re: Proposal for a common D-Bus interface for media players

William Pitcock nenolod at atheme.org
Thu Dec 7 11:06:00 CET 2006

I'm not entirely sure if it does. When I last looked at DBus
documentation, around 0.90, I drew the conclusion that the binding to URIs
in DBus was a instant-or-never affair. This may be changed now, but that
doesn't solve the issue that a signal being sent out to the player that
the user wants to switch control to will require some form of signaling.

An alternative to signalling, obviously, would be renaming the old
interface; but I do not think that DBus will let you do that, and even
if it does, it is probably context-limited; so some form of signaling may
still be needed when the user wants to switch application contexts for
control over MPRIS.

Anyway, MPRIS should have some form of provision for switching which
application is getting the requests on demand without any sort of ugly
closing + reopening apps.

For instance, consider the following workflow:

+ A user uses one of { XMMS1, Audacious, VLC } for casual listening, and
+ That same user uses one of { Amarok, Banshee, BMPx, Muine, Rhythmbox,
   XMMS2, Listen, mpd, ... } to listen to collections of music.

It may be desirable to be able to switch which one is under MPRIS'
limelight on demand in this situation, as you may be using a jukebox one
moment, and a simple player the next.

- William