[vlc-devel] Re: Streaming HOWTO update suggestions

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Mon Dec 11 16:51:02 CET 2006

Marian Durkovic wrote:
> Hi all,
>

>   as VLC-0.8.6 was recently released, I think it's a good opportunity to
> also make some updates for Streaming HOWTO reflecting the preference
> of TS/RTP over TS/rawUDP. Here are the proposed changes:

I suggest to take a slightly different approach, because for both of
them there are good reasons to support them. Please, describe it in such
a way that TS/RTP is prefered when doing Internet streaming.

>   Chapter 3 - the text in standard sout module somehow still prefers the
> raw TS over UDP streaming and slightly discourages TS over RTP by telling
> the user it's a legacy (=old) module. Since TS/RTP is for sure more
> robust than TS/UDP, I'd propose to change the order - i.e. in place
> where we have udp put rtp and change the explanation to something like
> "rtp: streams MPEG2 TS to unicast or multicast address using RTP/UDP
> protocol"

Remove the phrase legacy then ;-) and make a nice description that does
honor to TS/RTP combination.

> After the text about item options:
>
> "For RTSP and/or other containers than MPEG2 TS refer to the rtp stream
> output module".
>
> As a consequence, I'd suggest to put udp as the last item, with the
> following comment:
>
> "udp: streams MPEG2 TS over raw UDP. Please note that this is a legacy
> approach kept for backwards compatibility with special devices like STBs.
> It does not ensure correct operation over IP networks and its use is
> discouraged."

MPEG2 TS over raw UDP is the only option atm for STB's so I won't call
it legacy or support to discourage it. Simply because people might think
the VLC team will drop it shortly.

>   Chapter 2 - we're now using RTP Unicast / RTP Multicast in Wizard.
NAK

Gtz,
Jean-Paul Saman.