[vlc-devel] Streaming HOWTO update suggestions

Marian Durkovic md at bts.sk
Mon Dec 11 10:04:52 CET 2006

Hi all,

  as VLC-0.8.6 was recently released, I think it's a good opportunity to
also make some updates for Streaming HOWTO reflecting the preference
of TS/RTP over TS/rawUDP. Here are the proposed changes:

  Chapter 3 - the text in standard sout module somehow still prefers the
raw TS over UDP streaming and slightly discourages TS over RTP by telling
the user it's a legacy (=old) module. Since TS/RTP is for sure more
robust than TS/UDP, I'd propose to change the order - i.e. in place
where we have udp put rtp and change the explanation to something like
"rtp: streams MPEG2 TS to unicast or multicast address using RTP/UDP
protocol"

After the text about item options:

"For RTSP and/or other containers than MPEG2 TS refer to the rtp stream
output module".

As a consequence, I'd suggest to put udp as the last item, with the
following comment:

"udp: streams MPEG2 TS over raw UDP. Please note that this is a legacy
approach kept for backwards compatibility with special devices like STBs.
It does not ensure correct operation over IP networks and its use is
discouraged."

  Chapter 2 - we're now using RTP Unicast / RTP Multicast in Wizard.

	With kind regards,

		M.

----   Marian Durkovic                       network  manager         ----
----   Slovak Technical University           Tel: +421 2 524 51 301   ----