[vlc-devel] Re: [RFC] vlc: svn commit r18429 (jb)

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Wed Dec 20 19:32:07 CET 2006

Le mercredi 20 décembre 2006 19:04, Jean-Baptiste Kempf a écrit :
> I did it because it was trying to match wx interface.

Not such a good idea IMHO.

> The discussion was on the "File" (now "Media") menu.
> There seem to be confusion between "File Open", "Simple File Open"
> and in a more general way, all the options to open Media in VLC.

What about "Open File..." bringing the standard OS-specific File dialog,
and "Open Location..." if the user ever wants to cut&paste a MRL/URL,
and as is common in web browsers.

Good news, doing the two above items is probably trivial. If lucky we
could embed an extra "Manual subtitle selection" and "Streaming" button
to these two dialogs, but I expect it's not possible :( It would be
cool though, as it kills the need for two or three tabs from the
intricate Advanced open fialog!

"Open Disc..." should really be simplified. I don't know if the input
can be made so that VLC figures out automatically whether it is a DVD,
VCD or CDDA, but it should, and in any case the user should not need to
specify that and should not see the intricate advanced open dialog to
view a DVD. At worst, ask which driver is to be used and that's about
it (but unfortunately, this is probably platform-specific).

I don't really know about capture device as I never use them.

Then there should be a menu separation, and then we can put one
single "Advanced media selection..." or whathever the name item to
trigger the advanced open dialog replacement (I assume we still need it
somehow).

The Wx file tab is ok to me, the disk tab looks ok; it should become
fully understandable if the default options for Subtitle and Audio
track should get a better name (such as "Auto" or "None" or whatever is
appropriate) instead of "-1" which only developpers can understand.

The network tab is awful (I REALLY mean the network tab, NOT the
streaming output dialog). I suspect it's almost useless. Replacing all
four existing options with a single URL text area would probably be as
good.

Again, I cannot really give any opinion about the capture devices and
their tabs.

Finally, the stream output dialog... Well obviously it is extremely
complicated, but it is meant to be, so I don't really know.

And oh yeah, that would REALLY be LOT of work :( And we've not even
talked about the Streaming wizard.

http://www.remlab.net/