[vlc-devel] Re: multiple slices issue in h264 streaming: marker bit problem

Sigmund Augdal Helberg dnumgis at videolan.org
Wed Dec 27 02:45:53 CET 2006

On 12/26/06, Yao Peter <peter at yuvad.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just found an issue in rtp_packetize_h264, which sets the RTP marker
> bit to indicate end of an NAL unit, but in RFC3984, it states clearly
> the marker bit should indicate end of an access unit(sample). I think
> this is why quicktime cannot play the stream when there are multiple
> slices in one frame, it relies on this bit heavily.

Have you checked (experimentally) that setting the marker bit at the
right places does fix the issue?
It seems to me that the rtp packetizer code here will misbehave even
more than just the marker bit
if you have more than one NAL per frame. I do not have a sample stream
here that I know has this
property, and I'm not familiar enough with the encoding tools to
create such a stream easily, so I'll
need a new sample in order to investigate further.

I am not familiar with other parts of VLC code so cannot provide a patch