[vlc-devel] Re: DirectX video output module update possible?

Damien Fouilleul Damien.Fouilleul at laposte.net
Fri Feb 3 11:34:05 CET 2006

Bob,

Having a Directx9 module is quite desirable, however the main hurdle is
about using the DirectX 9 SDK. As far as I know, VLC cannot be built
using microsoft headers and libraries as their use comes with strings
attached.

Therefore, VLC is built using Public Domain replacment headers and
libraries from the MinGW project (http://www.mingw.org/) and other
contributions.
Problem is there are no replacement headers and libraries for DX9, you
can find 'converted' libraries on the net  for gcc, but these are still
illegal to use, since they originate from the Microsoft SDK.

You could write your module using the directx headers that VLC uses (DX7
headers I believe), and manually add all the DX9 bits (i.e object
declaration, constants, etc...) that you need inside your code; it's
messy but this has already been done for the directshow module for example.

Damien