[vlc-devel] Re: Add timing information to snapshots

Filippo Carone filippo at carone.org
Fri Feb 24 10:48:11 CET 2006

Olivier Aubert wrote:
> Hello
>
> I would like to add timing information to the snapshot code in
> src/vout_itnf.c. It is important for my application (which gets the
> snapshots through the mediacontrol API), and I think that it could
> benefit the "snapshot to a file" functionality (by appending to the
> filename a timestamp related to the movie time rather than the absolute
> time).
>
> In the previous approach that I used (the snapshot video output module),
> I obtained the time with
>     var_Get( p_input, "time", &val );
>     i_result = val.i_time - p_input->i_pts_delay;
>
> The problem is that it depends on p_input access, and I am not
> confortable with adding a
> vlc_object_find( p_this, VLC_OBJECT_INPUT, FIND_PARENT );
>
> to the core. Is it alright, or is there some other method?
>
> Olivier

Hi Olivier,
I think the correct place for such a function could be
src/control/libvlc_video.c so you can wrap that function in
mediacontrol. I'm doing a rewrite of mediacontrol keeping the current
function signatures (so the API remains the same for external apps) but
wrapping libvlc wherever possible. As soon as I complete this rewrite
I'll send you a copy for review before committing to svn.

Cheers,
fc