[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r14008 (hartman)

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Tue Jan 24 16:58:04 CET 2006

On 24-jan-2006, at 11:37, Christophe Massiot wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2006, matthieu castet wrote:
>> Subversion daemon wrote:
>>> r14008 | hartman | 2006-01-24 06:52:40 +0100 (Tue, 24 Jan 2006) |
>>> 4 lines
>>> Changed paths:
>>>   M /trunk/modules/demux/ps.c
>>>
>>> * Fake the PCR/SCR on MPEG PES streams (VDR for instance).
>>>  Don't worry, it's if()'ed such that it's almost impossible for a
>>> normal
>>>  PS file to trigger the hack.
>>>  It worked for all my VDR PES files and was never triggered for
>>> my entire
>>>  PS collection.
>>>
>> Great it make works vdr streamdev PES and PS streams.
>> TS and ES are still broken.
>> Such files can be found on http://castet.matthieu.free.fr/broken/

Actually the PS streams don't contain PACK headers, so as far as I
know that makes them PES files as well.

TS: It's not TS. it has not PAT/PMT tables. the software producing
this is broken and should be fixed. We won't do any "hacks" for this.
ES: Not broken, just raw mpeg like Christophe explains below.
> Why don't you fix VDR to output MPEG-compliant streams instead of
> adding
> evil hacks to all media-players to support illegal streams ?
> Compliance
> would really benefit the community.

That would indeed be a lot better. However since the PES streams are
actually whats coming out of these cards and dumped to disc, I
figured it was worth supporting. The TS is different in that it
requires a conversion, which is clearly not done properly.

> BTW the "es.mpeg" stream works perfectly, you just have to prepend the
> file name with "/mpgv:" to tell VLC that it's a raw video stream since
> it can't be easily differentiated from PS (actually, identifying raw
> elementary streams is the whole point of multiplexing).

And synching the Audio/Video is the other reason for multiplexing.

DJ