[vlc-devel] Re: TS mux generates stream which doesn't play smoothly on Amino 103 STBs

Marian Durkovic md at bts.sk
Thu Jun 1 09:04:10 CEST 2006

Hi all,

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 06:36:58PM +0200, Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:
> On 30-mei-2006, at 14:17, Gregor Fuis wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I was testing it again and right now i can say that --sout-ts-
> >alignment did the job properly!
> >Now i don't see any skips of frames on aminet and in cisco video
> >analyzer i get proper audio buffer!

Well, the whole functionality behind --sout-ts-alignment is to disable
FixPES() function...

Hereby I propose to make --sout-ts-alignment the default, since:

1) on audio-only streams, the audio ES is also PCR PID, so FixPES() is not
   being used anyway and no bandwidth saving happens.
2) on videostreams, the bandwidth saving is negligible - it's approx. 1 %
   (4.1532 Mbps with FixPES and 4.1986 Mbps without FixPES on a TV channel)
3) the default MPEG audio packet corresponds to 24 msec (@48 kHz sampling)
   For e.g. 256 kbps audio track FixPES divides it into 5.3 msec pieces
   which means you can't reconstruct the original 24 msec interval using
   integer-based number of pieces and there are many more timestamps than
   before possibly requiring additional processing on the STBs.

If anyone objects agains making --sout-ts-alignment the default, please
reply.

	Thanks & kind regards,

		M.

----   Marian Durkovic                       network  manager         ----