[vlc-devel] Extras/contrib breakage under Cygwin

Mark Moriarty mfmbusiness at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 8 01:39:02 CEST 2006

Hi --
I was doing a new build, kill-and-fill on the contrib directory, latest SVN
(as of 19:00 EST today).
It failed on building freetype.
Best I can tell, what happens is that a 0KB file called freetype2 gets
created, prior to the attempt to mv the freetype-2.x.y directory to a
freetype2 directory..  Therefore,  it errors out -- you cannot create a
directory called "freetype2" at the same directory point as already contains
a file named "freetype2".

Here's the portion of the make that generates the error:
tar xzf freetype-2.1.9.tar.gz
mv freetype-2.1.9 freetype2 || true
mv: cannot move `freetype-2.1.9' to `freetype2': Permission denied
touch freetype2
(cd freetype2; CC="gcc -mno-cygwin" CXX="g++ -mno-cygwin" ./configure
--without-
pic --disable-shared --enable-msw --with-included-opencdk
--with-included-libtas
n1 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/home/mfm/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib
&&
make && make install)
/bin/sh: line 0: cd: freetype2: Not a directory
/bin/sh: ./configure: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [.freetype] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mfm/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib/src'
make: *** [src] Error 2

I ended up manually deleting the 0KB freetype2 file, and manually renaming
the freetype-2.1.9 directory to freetype2, continued the make.