[vlc-devel] Re: udp streaming delay

Pedro Tumusok pedro.tumusok at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 10:13:48 CEST 2006

On 6/26/06, Julien Le Cléach <
julien.lecleach-ste-exterieure at fr.thalesgroup.com> wrote:

> > Could it be buffering on the receiving on end?
>
> i don't use vlc caching (emitting and receiving).
> do you think it could be a matter of network configuration ?
>
> --

okay, I'll go out on a limb here, but please see this a possible scenario,
not neccessarly a correct one.

1. Transcoding adds delay.
2. Creating the packets and filling them with data takes time.
3. Transit between the hosts takes time.
4. Receving packets a getting data takes time
5. Buffering before displaying anything adds time.

All of these points will add som added delay, wether it is as much as 2s I
dont know, I doubt it.
But I'll let somebody more experienced with VLC and how big default buffers
etc are, clarify or even tear down my scenario completly.

--
Best regards / Mvh
Jan Pedro Tumusok

Another fella told me, he had a sister who looked just fine.
Instead of bein' my deliv'rance, she had a strange resemblance
To a cat named Frankenstein