[vlc-devel] Re: udp streaming delay

Julien Le Cléach julien.lecleach-ste-exterieure at fr.thalesgroup.com
Mon Jun 26 10:28:52 CEST 2006

> okay, I'll go out on a limb here, but please see this a possible
> scenario, not neccessarly a correct one.
>
> 1. Transcoding adds delay.
> 2. Creating the packets and filling them with data takes time.
> 3. Transit between the hosts takes time.
> 4. Receving packets a getting data takes time
> 5. Buffering before displaying anything adds time.
>
> All of these points will add som added delay, wether it is as much as 2s
> I dont know, I doubt it.
> But I'll let somebody more experienced with VLC and how big default
> buffers etc are, clarify or even tear down my scenario completly.

i completely agree with that scenario. but :
when transcoding and displaying locally the result, i have points 1 and 5. as i said, it takes less
than 0.5s. i think i would lose my time (and yours) if i tried to optimize this part.
when i send the transcoded video with udp on the same host, i suppress the point 3 (my ethernet link
having good performance, it shouldn't even be a problem. nevermind).
so i guess the 1.5s left are mainly a consequence of points 2 and 4.
i think these are the parts on which i have to focus on, because this duration seems to be excessive
for me.