[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r14458 (damienf)

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Thu Mar 2 08:47:06 CET 2006

Le Mercredi 1 Mars 2006 20:01, Cyril Deguet a écrit :
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2006, Damien Fouilleul wrote:
> > VLC modules are not really linked against libVLC (outside of
> > builtins),
>
> By the way is someone able to explain why we use the
> "module_symbols_t" hack instead of doing that ?

I believe the VLC API symbols table was introduced because not all
platforms accept shared objects with unresolved symbols (in particular,
Win32/PE doesn't). So far, libvlc was statically linked within the vlc
executable, and linking against an executable is not possible either.

Now that the Win32 build seems to work fine with --enable-shared-libvlc,
it no longer needs the module_symbols_t. And, AFAIK, ELF platforms
never actually needed it (since they allow unresolved symbols to be
solved against the already mapped objects). But given the number of
platform we are supposed to support, there has to be one that will
break if we remove module_symbols_t (Darwin maybe?).

http://www.simphalempin.com/home/