[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r14458 (damienf)

Cyril Deguet cyril.deguet at via.ecp.fr
Sun Mar 5 12:37:23 CET 2006

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Now that the Win32 build seems to work fine with --enable-shared-libvlc,
> it no longer needs the module_symbols_t. And, AFAIK, ELF platforms
> never actually needed it (since they allow unresolved symbols to be
> solved against the already mapped objects). But given the number of
> platform we are supposed to support, there has to be one that will
> break if we remove module_symbols_t (Darwin maybe?).

Maybe, but if a platform supports shared objects/libraries, I believe it
will always be possible to make libvlc a shared library, and link
plugins against it.
I don't know how Darwin works, but in my experience a good test is:
if it works on AIX (which sucks raw eggs through a very thin straw), it can
work everywhere ;-)

--
Cyril