[vlc-devel] Re: DEMUX_GET/SET_TIME for TS

Marian Durkovic md at bts.sk
Thu Mar 16 10:26:10 CET 2006

Hi all,

On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 03:16:27PM +0100, Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:
[snip]

> The other approach is to take the PTS of the same PES stream and use
> that minus PTS starttime as the current time. This is again sensitive
> to gaps etc in the timeline.

I think a good first step might be to implement this one alone - it will
not provide the total time of the whole movie (do we need it ?), but the
time counter will show real time since the beginning of the movie.
Yes it will break if there are gaps in the timeline, but usually TSs
recorded from TV stations don't have this problem (except PTS wraparounds
which can be handled). This approach could also work with network-served
streams (FTP, HTTP etc.) without the need for extensive seeking.

The position slider could in this case rely solely on movie length in bytes.

Perhaps this could be also implemented for PS etc. - see ticket #591.

	With kind regards,

		M.

----   Marian Durkovic                       network  manager         ----
----   Slovak Technical University           Tel: +421 2 524 51 301   ----