[vlc-devel] Re: 0.8.5 release plans

Marian Durkovic md at bts.sk
Tue Mar 28 12:33:44 CEST 2006

Hi,

> About framedropping: it was enabled by default, and isn't anymore. This
> can cause some trouble when playing high definition streams with a too
> slow computer (like: it used to be jerky, it might not play anymore),

troubles are seen not only with HD streams, but also with e.g. 6 Mbps
TV channel when you start another application during playback, or if
something is running in the background and using your CPU.

> it is reported to vastly improve quality for many users.

Do we have any details for this - debugs, MPEG samples where this
helps etc ? I can't reproduce any improvement on RTP streams ranging from
3 Mpbs upto 18 Mbps  - namely I'm not seeing false debug messages stating
that some pictures were *not* decoded if skip-frames is enabled.
It seems that at least for our RTP network streams skip-frames is working
correctly. On the other hand, any system/other application
activity is well tolerated with skip-frames on (since VLC bypasses the
CPU intensive decoding phase for already-late and unusable pictures)
but has detrimental effects when skip-frames is disabled - since the
CPU shortage is even more escalated by unneded decoding of unusable
pictures.

	With kind regards,

		M.

----   Marian Durkovic                       network  manager         ----