[vlc-devel] Re: vlc: svn commit r15494 (zorglub)

Marian Durkovic md at bts.sk
Mon May 1 18:20:56 CEST 2006

Hi,

> Resampling typically occurs at the beginning only. I presume this is due
> to the stress while VLC starts all the plugins involved in performing
> the file. This does not seem to be alsa specific, and also occurs often
> with UDP streams in the beginning. I have to assume this is another
> breakage/side effect of the synchro algorithm.

  the issue you're describing is a result of plugins cache. When it's
disabled, VLC takes long to start, but does not experience this problem.

  When plugins cache is enabled, it takes several tens of miliseconds
(I've seen even 200 ms on very slow machine) to load all the plugins
from the disk. Until all the required plugins are loaded, data is
being buffered at input, and afterwards dumped all at once to the
synchro - which gets confused, since it naturally expects packets
at regular time intervals.

  The good point is that this problem only happens the first time you start
VLC - once the plugins are in memory, switching to another channel or
file is smooth.

	With kind regards,

		M.

----   Marian Durkovic                       network  manager         ----