[vlc-devel] Re: Make VLC an UPnP Media Server

Christian Henz christian.henz at c-lab.de
Thu May 11 12:32:20 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 10 May 2006 17:17, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> 	Hello,
>
> Le Mercredi 10 Mai 2006 11:57, Christophe Dongieux a écrit :
> > I'd like to make VLC an UPnP Media Server according to this :
> > http://www.upnp.org/standardizeddcps/mediaserver.asp
> > I already took a look at the source code in the
> > modules/services_discovery/ directory, and it seems that the
> > "upnp_intel" module already implements this (I have not tested it
> > yet).
>
> No. upnp_intel use Intel UPnP SDK to discover media servers on the
> network. It cannot at the moment make a media server out of the running
> VLC.
>
> > In deed, I have another constraint : I need to make it compile under
> > Windows (yeah, I know ...). I already saw  a patch for win32 here :
> > http://www.kamiak.com/sdk.html, but it is for the 1.2.1 version; the
> > latest being the 1.3.1.
>
> We also have the upnp_cc implementation using CyberLink UPnP stack,
> which is supposedly portable, but there is a kind of a consensus here
> that this is crap and should be removed.

Actually I think the CyberLink library is rather nice. It has explicit support
for different UPnP use-cases such as MediaServer. The Intel SDK is much more
low-level. Just compare the ammount of code in the upnp_cc.cpp and
upnp_intel.cpp files.

It may be worthwhile to just get involved in CyberLink development and help
fixing the existing issues, instead of having to implement all the
infrastucture it provides from scratch.

cheers,
Christian Henz