[vlc-devel] Patch in progress - RTSP scale support

Rob Casey rob.casey at swishgroup.com.au
Mon May 15 05:14:36 CEST 2006

All,

I have attached a patch which I have been working on to honour the Scale
header in RTSP requests received by VLC.  At present, this header is parsed
from RTSP PLAY requests, but only acted upon when VLC playback has been
paused (and this PLAY command is intended to resume playback).  This is a
very simplistic patch, simply changing the rate value of the p_input
input_thread_t structure - However I have run into a problem whereby this
rate value for UDP playback (to Amino set-top boxes) cannot be changed as a
result of the following condition in src/input/input.c

            if( i_rate != INPUT_RATE_DEFAULT &&
                ( !p_input->b_can_pace_control ||
                  ( p_input->p_sout && !p_input->b_out_pace_control ) ) )
            {
                msg_Dbg( p_input, "cannot change rate" );
                i_rate = INPUT_RATE_DEFAULT;
            }

This conditional is being triggered as a result of the b_out_pace_control
being set to a false value as a result of modules/access_output/udp.c
setting i_out_pace_nocontrol to true - Modifying this value gives variable
results where at times, playback rate is modified, but at others it is not.

Can anyone shed some light on this behaviour?

Alternatively, perhaps my question is as to whether there is another
approach which I should be looking at in order to modify playback speeds?

Regards,
Rob

Rob Casey
Swish Interactive