[vlc-devel] Re: Patch in progress - RTSP scale support

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Mon May 15 12:20:12 CEST 2006

Rob Casey wrote:

> This conditional is being triggered as a result of the
> b_out_pace_control being set to a false value as a result of
> modules/access_output/udp.c setting i_out_pace_nocontrol to true -
> Modifying this value gives variable results where at times, playback
> rate is modified, but at others it is not.

When VLC is used a a client this would be correct as it doesn't have
control over the pace of reading
the input being streamed from the VOD server. In this case the Scale
parameter is used as a command
to the VOD server asking it to only send I-frames for example. The
commercial VOD  servers support
a limited amount of alternative playback speeds, usually one for
fast-forward and one for rewind.

Your setup has VLC as a server and if the GOP size is twelve and Scale
is -12/+12 (for example) then
it should be possible to send only I-frames to the client but what if
another value is given? Which parts
of the should be sent and which omitted? Sending every second P or
B-frame won't work.

Dermot.