[vlc-devel] Re: Video encryption/decryption using VLC

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Thu Nov 2 08:28:15 CET 2006

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 05:36:02PM +0800, Edward Wong wrote :
> >Wouldn't it be easier to put encryption at the transport layer (access
> >in VLC's speak) rather than on the file?
>
> Well, my original plan was to append a header (in plain) to the file after
> it was encrypted. The header would contain a encrypted key that can be used
> decrypt the rest of the file.

If you intend to cipher the file only once, you can't do it at transport
level anyway (except for multicast, but that's probably NOT what you
want to use).

IMHO, the cleanest wayt to do it on the client side would be to add a
new access plugin that does the deciphering while piggybacking on
another access plugin to actually get the ciphered data (HTTP, file,
etc). This should be relatively easy, and VLC already depends on
libgcrypt for the TLS support, so all the common symmetric ciphers are
already available.

I bet provisioning personnal key pairs to clients will be a lot more
complicated, in the first place.

looking for a job
http://www.simphalempin.com/home/infos/CV-en.pdf