[vlc-devel] Informational note on GPL versions

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Fri Nov 10 17:06:14 CET 2006

	Hugh,

There's been some informal discussions about VLC's GPL versioning on IRC
this afternoon. I've had a quick look at the licenses of most of our
dependencies (but definitely not all, and definitely neither fully
accurate).

At least the following dependencies seem to be distributed under GPL
version 2 with NO provision for later versions:
libvcdinfo
libsmbclient

libsysfs seems to be LGPL v>=2.1 though some part of its source package
are GPL v==2. As a funny (well not really) note, lirc is GPLv>=1.

So, de-facto, VLC is already GPLv==2 (unless you remove some plugins).