[vlc-devel] Gui/qt4 starts a bootstrap/configure during Make on Cygwin

Mark Moriarty mfmbusiness at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 17 06:40:21 CET 2006

Scenario:
I have a clean Cygwin compile environment, decide to do an SVN update to
pull in current trunk.

When I update my main trunk, get a new configure.ac, it's time for a full
configure/make cycle, no problem.
I run the configure/make.  This does all the tests, then generates all new
makefiles, starts the full make of the trunk, going through all the modules.
There is, however, a difficulty down at the gui/qt4 level.
For some reason, I do not know what it is, when this new configure/make
reaches gui/qt4, gui/qt4/makefile is starting a new bootstrap/configure/make
cycle:
make[5]: Leaving directory `/home/mfm/vlc-trunk/modules/gui/qnx'
Making all in qt4
make[5]: Entering directory `/home/mfm/vlc-trunk/modules/gui/qt4'
cd ../../.. && /bin/sh ./bootstrap
+ AUTOMAKESUCKS=no
+ INSTALLSUCKS=no
+ ACLOCAL_ARGS='-I m4'
+ test -d extras/contrib/bin
++ pwd
+ export
'PATH=/home/mfm/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/b
in:/usr/X11R6/bin:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS:/cygdrive
/c/W
INDOWS/System32/Wbem:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Microsoft SQL
Server/80/Tools/Bin

What's happening is that the modules/gui/qt4 makefile has indeed launched a
brand new round, a bootstrap/configure/make sequence.  I think (could be
wrong) that this occurs down at:
$(srcdir)/Makefile.am: $(srcdir)/Modules.am $(top_srcdir)/bootstrap
	cd $(top_srcdir) && $(SHELL) ./bootstrap
It generates a new makefile.am at the modules level, plus new makefile.am
files for all subsidiary directories (modules/access,
Modules/access_filter,.)  You can see the config.log file at the root of the
trunk updating as it runs all the configure checks.

The above uses two hours -- it takes about 30 minutes for the initial
configure round, then about 90 minutes are spent on the make of the trunk
before hitting modules/gui/qt4, which then goes back to square 1 and repeats
the cycle.

Could someone knowledgeable take a look at the build script relative to
gui/qt4, see if there's a way to get rid of this second round of generating
makefile.am, running conf tests, etc.  If there's something special about
qt4 that requires a bootstrap whenever there's an update to the top-level
configure.ac (even though the changes to it have nothing to do with qt4),
great, no problem -- please just include that in the basic configure, don't
let the build go all the way to gui/qt4 and then force a restart.

Thanks.

Mark