[vlc-devel] Libintl path specification bug in trunk configure script?

Mark Moriarty mfmbusiness at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 30 05:08:14 CET 2006

I'm at rev 18165, trying to build the trunk.  I'm using extras/contrib,
which built OK.

The build proceeds through all the modules, to the point where it is
generating libvlc and the activex plugin, then errors out:

        ./axvlc.def \
          ../src/libvlc.a -shared ../src/libvlc.a `top_builddir=".."
../vlc-conf
ig --libs activex vlc builtin` \

ccache g++ -mno-cygwin -fno-inline
-I/home/mfm/vlc-trunk/./extras/contrib/includ
e -mms-bitfields -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused
blah-blah-blah
-L/home/mfm/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib/lib extras/contrib/lib/libi
ntl.a /home/mfm/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib/lib/libiconv.a -lnetapi32 -lwinmm
blah-blah-blah
g++: extras/contrib/lib/libintl.a: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [axvlc.dll] Error 1

Best I can tell the problem is that the script used to generate the
makefiles has a bug, is not generating a full path to libintl.a.  When I
check the makefile in the activex directory, I see:
INSTOBJEXT = .mo
INTLBISON = :
INTLLIBS = extras/contrib/lib/libintl.a
-L/home/mfm/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib/lib
/home/mfm/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib/lib/libiconv.a
INTLOBJS =

And
LIBICONV = /home/mfm/vlc-trunk/./extras/contrib/lib/libiconv.a
-L/home/mfm/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib/lib
LIBINTL = extras/contrib/lib/libintl.a
-L/home/mfm/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib/lib
/home/mfm/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib/lib/libiconv.a
LIBOBJS =

I'm pretty sure the specifier needs to be something like
/home/mfm/vlc-trunk/extras/contrib/libintl.a -- there's some kind of missing
piece, a "TOP_SRC_DIR" or whatever is being used.  The same logic used for
libiconv.a path definition needs to be used.

This incomplete path appears in other makefiles, such as
vlc-trunk/src/makefile